Other than being in a pool or heading to the beach summer can take its toll not only on you but your finances as well. We aren’t lucky enough to have a pool at home but a small inflatable one is quite sufficient on these hot days we have had this week! Kids are in and out with a change in bathers every time. (Luckily we own a swimwear store right 😉)
But here are some other tips to keep you cool this summer, Please comment below with tips that you have as we love to hear everyone’s ideas!:
- Your curtains make a massive difference in the heat of your home. Choose heavy fabrics and block all those windows up when you leave. No one wants to come home to a sauna of a house right? You then can open it all up in the evening.
- The best thing when you know hot weather is coming is to plan not to be cooking at all. Those ovens and stovetops heat up your home like crazy. Perfect nights for salads leftovers and maybe even some sneaky takeaway relaxing at the beach! We are lucky and use a Themomix which helps but I still love to whip up some dips and have platters for dinner. Here’s a little tip for you too: keep the meals light and mild (not spicy) to help promote better sleep.
- Limit the light use is always great for finances right?! BUT some globes actually produce heat. So another great reason to watch how many lights are on in your home.
- Swap to cotton sheets (trust me you will thank us later) they are so much cooler on these hot nights.
- Don’t reach for the AC remote – fans are a much cheaper alternative to help you cool down. Did you know there were proper ways to use fans? Saaayyy What? yep make sure the back of the fan is pointing out the door or an open window, if have a ceiling fan make sure it is running counterclockwise.
- The type of mattress you lie on also plays a role in the amount of heat you experience while sleeping. Obviously, you can’t just go run out buy a new mattress but when in need of a new one look for one that is firmer and great for circulation. You can buy cooling mattress toppers which are amazing!! We even have a cooling mat for our dog’s bed haha
- The clothing you choose to sleep in should follow the same guidelines as the sheets (unless of course, you sleep in your birthday suit as that’s the coolest you can get); light, loose and made of cotton. It will help to wick away sweat from your body while allowing air to circulate and keep you cool.
- Showers before bed are the best in summer. Just remember although you want it cool don’t have it too cold or your body will work hard to heat you back up!! For those that exercise try to do that in the mornings that way, you are cooled down wayyyy before bedtime.
- Have you got an ice pack in the freezer? I’m sure everyone with kids has one of these. Take it with you to bed! Place it on your head, neck, armpits or back to help cool down the entire body, this mixed with a fan is divine 👌.
- Lastly, stay hydrated by drinking cool water before bed, ensuring it’s not too cold. It’s always a good idea to avoid drinking alcohol before bed as this can cause your body temperature to rise. (which if you are like me know that already as your face goes soooo red🥵)
Remember to post your comments below and Stay Cool and Get a Better Night’s Sleep